Ketafol versus propofol alone for ED procedural sedation and analgesia
- Summarise the paper in 200 words
- Give 6 points of good study designs
- All study medications were prepared in identical 20 ml polypropylene syringes. Why is this important?
- Define categorical data? Give an example of categorical data from the paper? define continuous data? and give example
- The results showed 2% difference in rate of adverse respiratory events between groups. Why do the authors state there is no difference
- What does power of 80% mean?why is it important to perform a 2-sided calculation?
- What is P value? , in table 3, p= 0.001 is given, what does this mean? Is 95% confident interval consistent with this p value?
- Give 3 limitations of this study. Describe briefly for each point why you feel it is a limitation.
Diagnostic performance of venous lactate on a rival to the ED for MI
- Summarise 200 words
- Define double blinded. Who was blinded in this study?
- What was the reference standard in this study? Comment on this
- What is kappa statistic?
- Figure 4 shows a ROC curve. what does ROC curve tell us
- Would you advocate the use of lactate to rule out MI in patients presenting to ED? Give 3 reasons why
S100-B protein as a screening tool for the early assessment of minor head injury
- Summarise in 200 words
- Describe the inclusion and exclusion criteria, and comment on their appropriateness
- What outcome measures were used? Describe an alternative outcome measure that might be more appropriate
- Table 5 presents a range of performance parameter. which do you consider the most important and why?
- Should we invest in POC S100-B testing device? Give 3 pros and cons for doing this
Point of care trypsinogen testing for the diagnosis of pancreatitis
- Write a 200 words summary
- What is a reference standard? Why do diagnostic paper need one? What is the reference standard in this paper? and why could it be biased?
- What is the reason for blinding? who was blinded in this study?
- Comment on the recruitment process in this study? Do you think it’s a representative sample?
- Comment on sensitivity and specificity of the urine trypsinogen?
- What is the likelihood ratio? Comment on the calculation in this paper?
- Would you recommend that this test is used in your ED? Give 6 reasons either way
Impact of triage liaison physician on ED overcrowding
- Write a 200 words summary
- What is the purpose of randomisation? what type of randomisation used in this study? comment on this
- Who was blinded in this study?
- What is Hawthorn effect? and how is it relevant in this study? could this be avoided?
- The TPL was an additional member of staff. comment on this
- Any outcome measures they could have used?
- What is IQR? and do you think this is a good way of describing data? what else could be used?